With warmer temperatures forecast for the coming days, many of us will
take full advantage of the fine weather and cook a barbeque.
To ensure a safe and successful
barbeque, please heed the following advice:
• Follow the safety instructions provided with disposable barbecues.
• Never use a barbecue indoors.
• Make sure your barbecue is well away from sheds, fences, trees, shrubs
or garden waste.
• Keep children, pets and garden games away from the cooking area.
• After cooking, make sure the barbecue is cool before moving it.
• Use enough charcoal to cover the base of the barbecue, but not more.
• Only dispose of ashes when
they are cool enough. Disposing or burying hot ashes in sand or soil can
cause injury if stepped upon, and disposal on grassland can cause fires.
Emptying hot ashes into dustbins or wheelie bins can also melt the plastic and
cause a fire.
• Enjoy yourself, but don’t drink too much alcohol if you are in charge
of the barbecue.
• Always keep a bucket of water, sand or a garden hose nearby for